Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Crocker Art Museum

One of the things I did while I was in Sacramento back in January was to go visit the Crocker Art Museum. I love to go to museums anyway, but it was a rainy and cold day, so this was a perfect escape. The Crocker houses a variety of permanent and temporary exhibitions, but I focused on their collection of Californian and American Art. Here are a few of the pieces I really enjoyed. I love texture in art: brushstrokes and palette knife marks in thick, viscous paint; the surface qualities of ceramics, ranging from rough and unfinished to shiny and polished. I also love the use of color in the works below, from bold contrasts to subtle variations.







If you ever visit the Crocker, don't miss to visit the historic family mansion and art gallery building on the back of the museum (it is connected to the modern Teel Family Pavilion that makes up the majority of the museum since its expansion in 2010). It is magnificent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...